Well…we have survived yet another Monday my friends! Happy Tuesday! Today on “Talk-about-it-Tuesday” I would like to discuss spirituality and how suffering can contribute positively to personal growth.
“Don’t put your soul in the wrong hands, mindset, or environment.
– Lalah Delia
Spirituality means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and my intention with regard to this particular blog post is not to focus on the different types of spirituality or get into the topic of religion; but rather to look at how it (spirituality) can be beneficial in the instance of grief.
One thing that I have noticed is that all spirituality carries with it is the ability to bring us back to our “center.” Back to our “home base.” Back to a phenomenal place where we’re able to develop a deep connection with something that is many times greater than ourselves, and perform rituals that make our spiritual practice (whatever it may be) special and meaningful to us.
“Spirituality is a supreme inter-communication between you and everything.”
Spirituality is often the thing that we’re reaching our for when we experience loss because that is a time in our lives when we tend to really seek answers to the most perplexing questions about life… and death.
I have found so much comfort in discovering and implementing the guidance that I’ve received from my spiritual practice(s). They have brought more peace, tranquility and inspiration into my life making it easier for me to heal.
Suffering can be as lonely as it is painful; and it feels wonderful to have something in my life that I can do to alleviate the pain and loneliness that can also be practiced in very personal and intimate way without infringing on anyone else’s personal comfort level. I can express what I am feeling without any worries because I know that I am in the company of a power that understands my grief, and who is ready to assist me in performing my soul work and growth.
“Part of the spiritual work is remembering who you are – when triggered.”
– Lalah Delia
I have compiled a list of 10 ways that suffering has helped me to grow spiritually. I believe that this list could help you too.
- Suffering makes your appreciation for life more profound because you get to observe closely just how precious every single moment is. You get to see it’s worth up close and personal.
- You learn that life comes with limitations – and you learn to accept that reality.
- You learn that no matter how much you think that you have control over your life… you do not.
- You gain a greater understanding of the gift of vulnerability and you become more fearless and courageous as a result.
- It can help you open your heart and mind to the gift of “storytelling”, authenticity and self-expression.
- It can help gain insight of your life purpose and find meaning in life.
- It helps you remain focused on the important things in life and you become more grateful for everything.
- It can help increase your interest in fostering an intimate relationship with a higher power.
- It can help you prepare for and manage life’s ups and downs.
- Suffering teaches you to have more compassion and empathy in all of your relationships.
If you have any thoughts about this post please share! I would love to hear all about it!
Thank you for reading!
Until the next post…
Take care + Be well